Thursday, October 21, 2010

Welcome Aboard!!

 Thank you for giving my new blog a peak. It will be the continuing story of an under-achieving 41 year old who seems to be starting to find himself and is hoping it is not too late to have a fulfilling and productive life. I have made very many mistakes along the way, but has had many wonderful experiences as well.
       I have gone from the head of the class in elementary school, to graduating from the most elite high school in NYC to dropping out of St. John's U. to bouncing from job to job for over 20 years. I have a few good career prospects in the future and I did return to college this year(online) and will finally get my degree in 3 years, but I still can't help but feel that the parade of life has marched by me and I'm trying to catch up to it. I feel as if all the good women are taken and I'm not well-skilled in the social/dating scene to even find myself an average catch. I have battled social phobias all of my life and though I have made efforts to improve my social skills by having a DJ/Karaoke business which would force me to interact with people in a public setting.(I will get more into those experiences later.)
        I will also discuss my battle with the bulge in recent years. I'm glad to say that I'm starting to win this battle as I have lost 20 lbs. in the last several months and have a good plan together to work my way down to a suitable weight. I was relatively skinny up to the age of about 23. I then became a drinking and eating fool and my weight ballooned from a trim 160 to a beer-bellied 230 pounder. It's been a battle ever since to get down to a normal weight but now, finally, I seem to have it under control due to watching my calories, taking vitamins and exercising regularly. It's amazing what not drinking soda can do. That alone for me is a savings of about 500 calories a day. I will discuss the day-to-day results as I go along.
       The people in my life, most of which I interact with through Facebook, are quite varied and are from all walks of life. Some are sophisticated intellectuals that were classmates of mine in the past and others are down to earth, middle class people who work very hard to get ahead in life. People will say that the best way to interact is to just be yourself but, it is a challenge for me to interact with different types of friends on their levels. I have to be cool with the cool friends and sophisticated with the sophisticated friends. To most of them, I am probably falling somewhere in between the two and I think that explains why I usually feel like an outcast that doesn't really fit in with either crowd. As you will read my blogposts, you will see this situation more clearly.
        I will discuss the people I interact with in my life and will try not to post anything to offend them, but to make the readers understand what I am posting about, I will make up nicknames for each of them that will give you a clue as to what I think of them. A majority of them are wonderful people that I am glad to know, but of course there are a few people that I could do without. I am surely not alone with these feelings.
        I will discuss some things in my life that interest me, like sports, political views,entertainment and events of the day, but it will vary from day-to-day and not every topic will interest every reader. Just bear with me. Tomorrow, I will post 50 things about me. Some will be predictable and probably, some will surprise you.

2 comments: