Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Insane Rally To Restore Sanity And/Or Fear

Yes, I was one of the estimated 250,000 politically aware Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert fans that traveled from the wee hours of the morning to assemble in the Washington Mall in D.C. for this fun and entertaining day. It is the biggest mass of people that I have ever experienced at an event, and I have been to Earth Day in Central Park in 1990. That was 100,000 people but that paled in comparison to this. The ride down there from Whiting, NJ was a fairly easy three hours. The roads are pretty empty at 5:30am. Once I arrived in D.C. at 8:30, there were a strong bunch of people already there as the line at Starbucks was half-way down the block, but once we got closer to the starting time of the festivities, the invasion of people had begun. You pretty much had to stay in the section of the crowd you were in, or have to say "Excuse me" about a thousand times to move anywhere. There were hundreds of porta-potties there but by showtime, there was a very long line to use them. Luckily, I went very early and didn't have to wait as long.
   As for the Rally itself, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert were quite entertaining playing each side of the political argument. Jon, playing the "we need to bring government back to by the people, for the people" side and Stephen playing the "we need to be afraid" side. The musical guest were a fun, diverse mix from The Roots to John Legend to Yusef Islam(Cat Stevens) to Ozzy Osborne to the O'Jays and Tony Bennett. The signs and posters given out were an interesting mix. I received a Prop 19 sign for the legalization of pot in California and also a Team Fear sign and a Rally towel. I also meet with two fellow Stuy alums there(and wish I found some others there).
    Overall, it was worth the trip, but the 4 hour ride to New York was tough. Heavy traffic the first half of the trip. But, I would do it again.I never really had a chance to travel much in my life, now I will plan on doing it more. Happy Halloween all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment