Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Self Improvement Plan Has Found Another Gear....And It's A Lovely Gear

Just when I thought that I had done all that I could possibly do to improve my existence, losing weight, getting into much better shape, moving back to the place that I love, New York City, reconnecting with just about everyone that I've ever known, and then some, and focusing on getting my career situation more settled, along comes a breath of fresh air named Katie, that I affectionately call "Blondie". She is all about motivation and inspiration and has given me a swift kick in the ass to push me even harder than I've pushed myself over the last few years. What I've done is a drop in the bucket, compared to what I still can do. I see it myself, but she sees so much more in me than I could imagine.
        I have never been on an airplane, in my entire life or have traveled further than Washington D.C.. She demands that I get my passport, that way we can go anywhere we want to go, and I will, not just because she wants me to, it's because I really do want to experience a lot more in my life. She went skydiving yesterday! Something that I never thought in a million years that I would consider. Now, I want to do it, and it's not just  because she did it or because some friends seriously doubt that I have the guts to do it, it's because I am focused on wanting to experience all the things that I've missed. I need some adventure in my life, before I become too old for these things or too set in my ways to change.
         I have always been a very picky eater. Always afraid to try new things, for whatever silly reasons. In the last two months, I've eaten for the first time, sushi, spinach, hummus, a seaweed snack and Thai food, just the other day and I've liked the taste of all of them. What was I afraid of? I don't understand that about myself. But anyway, I will continue to try new things. I'm considering meditation, yoga and other forms of relaxation techniques, because I am, generally speaking, someone who has not dealt well with stress and it's certainly worth a try.
          But like Katie says, there is no "try", you should just focus your mind on what you want to accomplish, and just do it......and I thought I had drive and determination........I am thanking my lucky stars.....  :)     To be continued................

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Paul. My daughter's been to more than 5 countries already and she's only 7! But you know what? And she loves sushi! LOL But I don't say that to make you feel bad. As much as I have experienced, there are still things that I have been afraid to do because of fear of failure. And she has inspired me SO MUCH because I want to set a good example for HER, of fearlessness. I look at her and I see the person I once was. I don't know what it is about life that sucks the courage right out of us. Sometimes it's people encouraging us to be "realistic", sometimes it's one failure that stings us so much that we are afraid that it defines us rather than seeing it for what it is: ONE EVENT. But I am SO SO GLAD that you have connected with someone who is so adventurous and who embraces life, and YOU are to be commended for choosing to experience life with her. You may not like everything you taste, try or do...but at least you DID it. Look at how determined you've been with the weight loss - and look at how THAT went. THOSE are the experiences we need to focus on - our SUCCESSES.

    I'm really happy for you, really proud of you, and I can't wait to see what else you tackle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was just as simple as looking in the mirror one day and saying to myself "my God, my life is probably half over or more and I've done next to nothing with it" That frightened me so much that it kick started this chapter of my life. Wanting to grow and experience life and improve myself. I started feeling that I've done as much as I was capable of, until my lady came along a few months ago. Now I see so many more possibilities for my life, and I've never been this excited!!!! Thanks Leian!

    ReplyDelete